Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A trip to the Vatican


Today started off with a trip to the Joel Nafuma Refugee Center for our service learning.  I helped Sandra hand out razors, lotion, shampoo, and other toiletries to the men before tea.  After tea I helped her sort through and hand out clothes and toothbrushes to the refugees.  One refugee came up asking for a pen, something that we normally don’t hand out on a regular basis, but after Sandra saw who it was she immediately gave him a pen.  She explained that the man was named Leonardo and his main activity was writing.  He wrote letters to people back at home, in Africa and sometimes even wrote to Sandra asking her for a few cents in order to send his letters.  The work Sandra does never ceases to amaze me.  Every time I’m there, helping pass stuff out, I’m constantly in awe of her kindness and willingness to give everything that she has to help the less fortunate refugees.

Later we had an excursion to the Vatican museums.  It was lead by Jeffery, who gave an outstanding tour!  When I entered the Vatican museum, I thought there was only one museum, but soon found out there are more than 20!  As we traveled from room to room, Jeffery’s extensive knowledge and passion for this subject kept the class captivated.   I learned so much about the Catholic Church and the history of the Vatican.  I loved seeing all the statues and sculptures.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen that many statues in one place!  Jeffery led us around most of the museums, stopping at key and important artifacts and giving us the history and backgroud of them.  The highlight of the museum for me was getting to go into the Sistine Chapel.  It was even more breathtaking that any photo I’d seen or image I’d had in my head.  Jeffery’s history of Michelangelo and how he painted the chapel made the experience even more amazing than just seeing it.  Getting to hear what the different panels were and how they told a story really made the experience unforgettable.  Also seeing the differences of the paintings done first to those done last also contributed to the majesty of seeing it.  I can’t image how Michelangelo was able to imagine all the intricate details.  We were also able to see Raphael’s rooms.  Jeffery described to us each wall in the 4 different rooms.  It still amazes me how these great artists could create such timeless pieces of art! 

The final destination of our tour was actually getting to go into the Vatican. WOW that place is enormous!!!  I was in total awe of the beauty of it all. I’ve never seen any place as magnificent as the Vatican.  I feel so lucky to have been able to experience such an amazing place.  Going to the Vatican has definitely been one of my highlights of this study aboard! I will never forget the experience I had today!  I recommend anyone who comes to Rome, must visit the Vatican! 

No comments:

Post a Comment