Search This Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Rolling Stones & the 2nd hand purse!


Vintage clothing is a generic term for new or second hand garments originating from a previous era. The phrase is also used in connection with a retail outlet, e.g. “vintage clothing store.” It can also be used as an adjective: “This dress is vintage.” 


Today, in the beautiful city of Rome, I used the term vintage clothing as an adjective while I was talking with Gina Hathorn. I was trying on a ripped up black t-shirt with a print of the Ramones and it made me scream to Gina with excitement, “look at this - vintage, I love it!!”. We stumbled across a warehouse filled with about 20 artists and their collection of vintage clothing. I was in utter love! Like a kid in a candy shop (cliché... I know), I quickly browsed around every booth - searching for the perfect find! I couldn’t believe it. It was as if Rome had a taste of Seattle in a 2 block radius. We wondered a couple streets from the infamous American Apparel because we were there an hour before opening. First of all, what store opens at 3 pm in the afternoon! Such an inconvenience! Personally, Rome should be on the schedule of Gina & Souvonnah! (complete sarcasm). The hour we dreaded while waiting for the store to open ended up being an hour of adventure and discovery! It was an hour of us stepping outside of our box. An hour were we explored, we found, and an lovely hour we enjoyed. I don’t know what it is about Gina & I, but we always end up in some of the coolest places. The art show we went to with Stephanie & Manka was very similar to this place. Kings of Leon playing in the background, surprisingly running into the same boutique I bought my favorite dress at, looking at some used bags, and wicked sunglasses! The best place to kill our dreaded hour before American Apparel opened. The people around us- it was as if we never left home. I never imagined to see “hipsters” (as we call them) in Italy, or in the perfect term - seattleites. We definitely plan on going back to the same area! It was full of life and so many vintage shops! It’s unfortunate it was a sunday, when all the stores are typically closed, because as I peeked through the glass window of almost 80 percent of the stores - everything looked so intriguing. 
Other than our 2 hour adventure in the streets of Rome. I spent most of my day inside catching up on readings and working on our big research project we have coming up this next month. Who says you have to go out and do something spectacular every day? Part of living in another country and trying to adapt to the culture is living the life as an Italian. Hence, not doing the touristy thing every day. Taking a break to enjoy life, catch up, and relax! To get your morning coffee and hibernate inside. Part of living in another country is not being distracted by the big buildings, the endless events, and packed restaurants. Today, I avoided Via Del Corso and I wondered the streets of I don’t know where.  I’m completely content with my day and I’m happy! It’s never a waste to have time to yourself in a beautiful city, even if you don’t necessarily see outside of your bedroom window. I find joy in just knowing i’m living in another country and I’m trying to adapt to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment