Search This Blog

Monday, February 21, 2011

Feb 20th, 2011


Luis, two girls from CHID program, and I went to Athens, Greece for the weekend. All four of us were very excited for this trip because Greece is our dream country to visit in Europe and finally we made it! Getting off from the plane we were exited at the airport, we saw very clear blue skies with chunks of white clouds. My first impression on Greece was Im home which is Indonesia and not only me but also other people thought that they were home, too. Of course, not all parts of the Athens look alike to how my home looks, but there is a similarity which reminds me of home such as nothing antique but simple square buildings of shops and markets alongside the streets and several brand shops and famous café that I saw in Indonesia but not in Rome. People in Greece are very friendly and most of them speak English very well so we had no problem at communicating and asking them a direction. In addition, because of their friendliness and fluent English with charming sales technique, I ended up buying a lot of souvenirs which I usually dont do. In addition, unlike people in Rome, people in Greece wear very casually and some of them remind me of my grandmother back home.

As expected, Greece was all about white and blue. I was impressed how city looks so white and think that it is very beautiful when I saw it from the top of Acropolis. Again, being as a student in Greece is very beneficial or can save money or spend more money on food and other stuffs because all the museums or main tour sights are free for student. Therefore, we did not spend any money to enter the Acropolis and museums but spent on foods which are gyro, Greek style of pastries, and Greek traditional dishes and souvenirs. While we were in Greece, the weather of Athens was mostly rainy and little bit of sunshine but the good thing was it was not that cold and luckily when we got to visit the acropolis, which is the main sights to see and visit, it was very sunny. After this trip, I thought that it would be better to visit Greece during the summer but Greece was already beautiful itself no matter the weather. By the way, we were planning to go to island for day trip but when we asked people in Greece to recommend which island we should go, and none of them recommended instead asking us why do you want to go to island? Its very cold We decided not to go because we heard there is an 80% chance of rain the following day which we planned to visit any island near Athens. So we ended up exploring Athens more and had lots of Greek foods, especially gyro for 2 euro.


So today (Feb 20, 2011), we got up at 7:30 in the morning, check out, take a cap to the airport, and finally flew back in Rome, home sweet home. By the way, it was hard to say good-bye to Athens, Greece. When I think of my trip in Greece, five things popped up! They are rain, wind, gyro, dogs sleeping in the middle of street, and souvenir shopping. We got back in Rome Center around 2:00pm and as soon as I got home, I unpacked my stuffs and get ready to go to church (Korean Church) at Via Venezia. When service was done, I went to my favorite salad place near Piazza Navona and got chicken salad and ate in my cozy room looking at pictures that I took in Greece and recalled the memories in Athens. Lastly, this trip was full of excitement, experiences, and unforgettable memories J

No comments:

Post a Comment