Search This Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

SATURDAY 12. FEBRUARY. 2011


It’s my birthday!! Nineteen years ago today, my mother, at sixteen years old gave birth to a child, who was often mistaken as a mistake. And today in celebrating me, I celebrate my mother’s courage to do what many don’t.
I’m in Barcelona! And so far, I love it. Could be that the language is easier or that I’ve taken six years of it and though I don’t remember everything, it feels a little better. We’re staying in an amazing youth hostel and the vibe is laid back. Then again, this whole trip is laid back, while many of our other trips have been very packed with five-day itineraries jammed into two days. I had an awesome donut and croissant sandwich for breakfast that blessed my life then we started our day with some sites. Well first we walked through the center and there were some people dressed in costumes and taking money for pictures. Everyone thought it was a great idea for me to take a picture with this creepy jeepers creepers looking type of guy and they told him it’s my birthday so he made the experience extra special. He put his nasty finger in my ear as he was grabbing my head and shaking me a little. Then he kissed me about two times in the process. As creepy and embarrassing as it was, I’m glad they made me do it. After that, we took the metro and a bus and we went up on this mountain to look over the city and beyond the smog, the view was great. Marson, Brenda, Alex and I went on this lift that allowed us to look from an even higher point. There was also a church up on the mountain and we accidently walked in during mass. We would have stayed a little while longer but about five minutes in they were taking communion and none of us wanted to partake in that. Not that we were against it, just out of respect. I personally don’t know the rules or anything to Catholic communion so we walked out as politely as possible.
Marson discovered a store with all types of sweet and sour candy that is charged by the weight. I thought I deserved 2 Euros worth and I think that is what upset my stomach. After being on a hunt to find the sacred family house and some architecture. We then ate lunch/dinner at a nice place called Catalana where I ate a Spanish omelet that was quite tasty. I also ordered a “Mini Cheeseburger” That was more mini than I thought it would be. They made a cute design on the plate with ketchup and Marson says, “You have more ketchup than you have burger.” He wasn’t exaggerating. Nonetheless, it was a place to eat and when I came back from the restroom, the group surprised me with a piece of chocolate cake that had hot fudge gushing out of it. I couldn’t eat all of it from not feeling too well so I passed the plate around and had everyone take a bite.
When leaving the restaurant, we split into two groups, a few people went on to see some more sites and the rest of us started to head back towards the hostel so that I could buy a jacket, since I didn’t bring one and it was pretty cold. Not to mention that we planned to go out and I needed a jacket. Well unfortunately on our way to H and M I got sick, we still made it to the store in time though and I bought a cute jacket and purse then we headed back to the hostel. Since I still didn’t feel well, I didn’t go out but the day was great overall.
The trip was great. My birthday was a lot different than it has ever been but it was good. Shout outs to everyone who went to Barcelona and made it a great day, and for taking care of me when I got sick! Adios!! Soon to be Ciao!!

No comments:

Post a Comment